Are you a mom? Want to talk about mom things? Or talk about anything? Send me an email and lets chat! michwinter6291@gmail.com .

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

So Peyton has been in O.T. for a few weeks now

And I guess it's going okay. I'm definitely more comfortable with his therapist, Niki, than I was the first week. The first week I was really disappointed, and thought that he wasn't going to get anything out of therapy other than playing with some really cool toys.

Now it's been 3 weeks, and I can see a pattern starting to develop. She's figured out that Peyton's sensory issues stem from having an under response to stimuli -- basically meaning that he needs to 'feel and experience' things more -- bumping and crashing into furniture, headbutting, pinching, touching everything, etc.; anything that stimulates his sense of touch. And he also really likes heavy work activities, which is one of the reasons he LOVES pushing heavy toys and boxes around the house.

So she purposely brings over toys that need extra force to put together, or that have special textures that will appeal to Peyton. So it's kind of neat. And she's SUPER patient. I also really like that she lets Sophie play along too. The first session I was worried about what I was going to do with Sophie for 90 minutes, but she lets her sit and play right along with Peyton, which I think is great.

She does think that his taking his clothes off is a behavioral issue, though, and not a sensory one. I'm not sure how I feel about my 2 year old having 'behavioral issues', but I guess there's not much I can do about that one.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I wouldn't sweat the getting naked right now. My son still takes his ever loving time putting clothes back on when he has the chance to get naked and he's almost 4! I would give that a little while before I start to panic.

Natalie said...

Yeah my son is 3 and would rather run around the house naked than anything else. He loves to show off his "buns" to anyone who is home!

Unknown said...

They like the freedom of being naked! As long as he's not taking off his clothes when you're out in public it's not so bad.