Are you a mom? Want to talk about mom things? Or talk about anything? Send me an email and lets chat! michwinter6291@gmail.com .

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mom Dot Blog Party: Day 6

Can you believe it's Day 6 already? That means we're 1/2 way through! boo-hoo! I've been having so much fun visiting everyone else's sites and finding out about their holiday traditions. Today's question is:
Favorite holiday memory from YOUR childhood

I have several favorite memories from my childhood, how can I pick just one? I'll pick two! My first favorite holiday memory is waking up on Christmas morning. I have 3 sisters and 1 brother, and when everyone was living at home we would all wake up super early and gather in someone's central room and talk until we heard my parents walk down the steps. They would go downstairs and set up the trains around the tree, turn on the Christmas music, and break out the Dunkin Donuts.

We'd all sit at the top of the steps and yell down "Can we come down yet??" over and over until they tortured us enough and would yell up "come down!" and we would all run shrieking down the stairs, amazed at the massive amount of presents under and around the tree.

My other favorite memory is my grandfather's house. He passed away when I was little -- I think around 9 years old, so my memories of him are sketchy. But he had this totally retro Christmas tree, with this rickety light wheel that had a thin plastic multi-colored film over a light and it threw different colored lights on the tree every time it rotated. It was VERY cool and that's the only thing I remember about his tree, but I remember always being mesmerized with it.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

When we would visit my grandmother's house in Florida growing up we would kick the bedroom wall until they would let us get up!

Celina said...

That tree sounds trippy and super cool!

Natalie said...

My mom would let me get up and open my stocking, which I did in the middle of their bed, to make sure they were awake!

Melissa said...

Sounds like you have some sweet memories!

Tena said...

I love it... can we come down yet!! Love it because this is the stage we are at here in my home!!
Ü

Here's mine since Mr Linky is down

www.5150mommy.blogspot.com

Cathy said...

What a great memory! Thanks for sharing!

Erin Tales said...

What a wonderful childhood memory of your grandpa's tree!

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

I can't believe you would actually stay on the top of the stairs. That's just torture!

Staci A said...

My parents had a dairy farm growing up and we'd have to wait til they were done working to open gifts. It was so hard!

Unknown said...

sweet memories!

Sandy said...

I remember sitting at the top of the steps too. It seemed like days before we were allowed to come down.

Momstart said...

that sounds like so much fun.

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Dunkins Donuts on Xmas morn sound good!