Are you a mom? Want to talk about mom things? Or talk about anything? Send me an email and lets chat! michwinter6291@gmail.com .

Monday, February 2, 2009

Hebrew school Dropout....

*Hanging my head in shame* I admit it -- I've let my child become that child -- the child that stops going to extra-curricular activities, although I promised myself that I would never let them quit. Although if we're talking honestly here, it's MY fault that she isn't going anymore.

This is the first year that Sophie has been old enough for Hebrew school, and I was really excited when I found out that she qualified for the 3 & 4 year old class. It's only once a month at the Temple, which is about 45 minutes from our house. I just don't think Sophie 'gets' it, and I think it's my fault. Because of our hectic schedule, and my work schedule, we NEVER make it to Tot Shabbat, which is every other Friday night at 7 p.m. Tot Shabbat is when they learn more about G-D, about the religion, etc. So she just goes to Hebrew School, and is completely clueless.

She's in a class with other kids who live and breath Judaism; where they have older brothers and sisters who have been through Hebrew school, where they go to service every week, where they celebrate their religion every chance they get....

And then there's Sophie. Sophie didn't even know what a Menorah was at Hanukkah! I was SO embarrassed! It was then that I knew that maybe I should let her embrace this whole religion thing when she's ready. I still plan on reading her the cute little Jewish books we have at home, and celebrating the Jewish holidays the way we do it, but I don't necessarily want to get her into 'formalized' Jewish religion too early on. Is this wrong of me? Will she suffer if she doesn't get a good solid religious education?

My mother forced us into CCD when my brother and I were young, and we HATED it. We couldn't wait until we hit 8th grade and made our Confirmation so we could get the hell out of their, and I promised myself I wouldn't do the same to my children! And so far, I haven't... none of my older boys have been in religious education; Sophie is the only one!

3 comments:

Drew Versak said...

Uggg CCD!... All I wanted was to run around outside and climb trees Sunday morning but no... off to CCD we go...

Gina said...

There's a point of pushing and there's a point of giving them the opportunities that give them the experiences to learn what they want and don't want. Do you want Sophie to follow your footsteps in the Jewish religion? If so, then you should be committed to taking her to the classes. If you don't care about religion then just do what you want. But if you're embarrassed that all the other kids know so much more, then you should either do more yourself and make it to services and get Sophie to classes, etc; immerse her in the religion. At her age, she isn't going to hate you for making her do stuff. You need to form the religious background now if you want her to make the choice for herself in the future. If you don't provide her with opportunities to learn, then she may never want to commit to anything in the future (which is fine if you're fine with that too).

Sorry, I think I'm rambling now, you know how to find me if you want more of my opinion!

Bloggymommy said...

I don't think it's bad or wrong of you at all. Religion comes to kids through experiences and at home. I'm sure going on a regular basis would help, don't get me wrong, but if she's not getting it and not ready then rest assured that one day she will know everything she needs to whether she goes now or not.